Garden County Nebraska

Place Names

Cemeteries

Churches

The Place

 

Garden County Communities

Strand of Barbed Wire

Garden County Place Names

  • Cormick, A former station on the Union Pacific line; a beet dump and siding southeast of Lewellen.
  • Dewey, A post office established 27 April 1900. The name was changed to Moffitt 23 November 1900. It is assumed that the locations are the same.
  • Edward, A post office established 5 February 1909; discontinued in 1915.
  • Fort Gratten, A US Army sod fort at the mouth of Ash Hollow Creek; established in September 1855 and abandoned the following year.
  • Fort Laramie, Located 6 miles north of Fort Gratten.
  • Garden, A post office established 19 August 1910 and operating through 30 September 1912. The exact location is not known.
  • Goodland, A post office established 3 June 1913 and operating through 13 May 1922.
  • Hartman, A post office established 12 August 1889 on Lost Creek in the Lost Creek precinct. It was named after Sebastian Hartman, the first postmaster. It closed 6 October 1889.
  • Hewett, A post office established 19 December 1910 and operating until 15 August 1913.
  • Hillsdale, A post office established 15 February 1911 and operating through 31 July 1912.
  • Hutchinson, A post office established 12 August 1889 on Blue Creek in Blue Creek precinct and operating through 31 July 1913.
  • Kowanda, A post office established 22 March 1888 in Green precinct and operating through 31 December 1921. It was named after a local resident, the name being of Bohemian origin from kovan/kovane meaning smithwork. It's original location was S18, T15, R44 West.
  • Lakeview, A post office established 25 March 1912 and operating through 30 November 1915.
  • Lewellen, A town named after Frank Lewellen, who established the first store and post office in 1887/1888. The post office was moved from Keith County 4 December 1891.
  • Lisco, A village named after Reuben Lisco who once owned the land upon which it sits. He was an early cattleman in the area who owned about 40,000 acres and was president of the Lisco State Bank. The post office was established 26 July 1909.
  • Lutherville, Originally a post office established about 1887 on Blue Creek and named Ramsey after its first postmaster. The current name is from the Union Pacific station.
  • Lyon, A former village to the east of Oshkosh on the irrigation canal. It may have never been anything more than a ditch named after a homesteader.
  • Lytle, A former station on the Union Pacific line.
  • Moffitt, Formerly Dewey, a post office office established 23 November 1900 and named after its postmaster. It closed 25 March 1907.
  • Mumper, A post office established 14 April 1896 and named after a woman homesteading in the vicinity. It operated until 1945.
  • Orlando, A post office established 3 September 1891 and operating through 28 February 1930. The name was suggested by one of the postal patrons; its significance is not known.
  • Oshkosh, The county seat of Garden County, was established in 1885 when Henry G. Gumaer, Alfred W. Gumaer, Herbert W. Potter, and John Robinson, moved to the area from St. Paul, Nebraska and established a cattle ranch on the current town site. The post office was established in 1886 and named after the town of Oshkosh, Wisconsin. The Gumaer brothers were natives of Wisconsin, Alfred having once lived in Oshkosh.
  • Pawlett, A former inland post office established 24 May 1915 in Alkali precinct and operating through 31 December 1920. The name may have been derived from Pawlett in Somerset, England or of other, local origin.
  • Rackett, An inland post office established 13 September 1910 in Alkali precinct and operating until 1945. The name is probably of local origin.
  • Ramsey, A post office moved from Lutherville 22 December 1887 and moved to another location in 1890.
  • Ruthton, A railroad siding the eastern edge of Garden County.
  • Sowser, A former Union Pacific camp near Lewellen.
  • Sterbins, A post office established 31 July 1913 and operating until 15 January 1916.
  • Thelma, A post office established 28 May 1912 and operating until 15 May 1915.
  • Tippetts, A post office established 30 September 1912 and operating until 14 October 1916.
  • Velma, A post office established 22 April 1914 and moved to Arthur County 14 May 1917.
  • Warren, A post office established 10 April 1912 and operating through 30 September 1921.

  •  

    Sources: Garden County Historical Society, Nebraska Place Names by Lilian L. Fitzpatrick, p. 66; both as cited in A Research Guide to Genealogical Data in DEUEL and GARDEN COUNTIES, Nebraska State Genealogical Society, January 1984, pp. 28-29.

Strand of Barbed Wire

Garden County Cemeteries

  • Antelope Valley
    • SW of Hartman, NE1/2, SE1/4; S6 -Twp17 - R44
  • Ash Creek
    • NE of Lewellen, SW1/4, SE 1/4; S15 - Twp16 - R42
    • Earliest burial 18 June, 1849
  • Ash Hollow
    • SW of Lewellen, E1/2, NW1/4; S3 - Twp15 - R42
  • Evergreen
    • NW of Hartman, SW1/4, SE1/4; S10 - Twp18 - R45
    • Records held by Lisco Bank, Lisco, NE 69148
  • Fairview
    • SE1/4, SE1/4; S10 - Twp17 - R41
  • Hutchinson or Kingesy
    • SW of Hutchinson, SE1/4; S15 - Twp18 - R43
  • Kowanda
    • SE of Kowanda, SE1/4; S12 - Twp15 - R45
  • Lisco
    • SW of Oshkosh, NW1/4, NE1/2; S4 - Twp17 - R46
    • Records held by Lisco Bank, Lisco, NE 69148
  • Oshkosh
    • SW of Oshkosh, NW1/2, NE1/2; S25 - Twp17 - R44
  • Plum Creek
    • NE of Lewellen, SW1/4, NW1/4; S24 - Twp16 - R42
  • St. Elizabeth
    • SW of Oshkosh, SW1/4; S23 - Twp17 - R44
Source: A Research Guide to Genealogical Data in DEUEL and GARDEN COUNTIES, Nebraska State Genealogical Society, January 1984, p. 31. Location format is Quarter; Section - Township - Range. 

Strand of Barbed Wire

Garden County Churches 
  • Lewellen
    • Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church
      • Organized: September 1906
      • History: 70th Anniversary, 6 September 1976, copy at church office
      • Records: baptism, marriage, and death; 1906 to present
    • Lewellen United Methodist Church
      • Organized: 1891
      • History: None known
      • Records: baptism, marriage, and death; 1891 to present; may not be complete; also membership rolls
  • Lisco
    • Evergreen Church - no longer in existence
      • Organized: unknown date
      • History: none known
      • Records: transferred to St. Mark's Lutheran, Oshkosh
    • Lisco Presbyterian Church
      • Organized: 14 March 1909
      • History: none known
      • Records: baptism, marriage, and death; November1913 to present
  • Oshkosh
    • Antelope Valley Sunday School
      • Built: 1916
      • Records: baptism, marriage, and death; only partial records
      • Cemetery: earliest date 1897
    • Assembly of God
      • Organized: 1949
      • History: none known
      • Records: none known
    • Kowanda Methodist Church - no longer in existence
      • Organized: 1897, closed 1974
      • History: Kowanda History 1978, copy at Oshkosh Museum
      • Records: baptism 1941 - 1970, marriage 1947 - 1954, death 1950 - 1975; records transferred to Oshkosh United Methodist Church
      • Cemetery: established about 1915
    • Mount Hope Methodist Church - no longer in existence
      • Organized: date unknown
      • History: none known, Clary was early minister
      • Records: transferred to Lewellen Methodist Church, now in Oshkosh
    • Oshkosh Methodist Church
      • Organized 1 April 1911
      • History: none known
      • Records: baptism 1911 - 1983, 1911 baptisms are listed at Lewellen Methodist Church, now at Oshkosh; marriage and death records incomplete
    • Oshkosh Seventh Day Adventist
      • Organized: 11 April 1970
      • History: none known
      • Records: baptism, marriage, and death; 1970 to present
    • St. Elizabeth's Church
      • Organized: date unknown
      • History: none known
      • Records: baptism, marriage, and death; from about 1922
      • Cemetery: no records
    • St. George Episcopal
      • Organized: 1959
      • History: none known
      • Records: baptism, marriage, and death; 1959 to present
    • St. Mark's Lutheran
      • Organized: September 1906
      • History: annual report, 1982; booklet printed in 1976, copy at church office
      • Records: baptism, marriage, and death; 1906 to present
    • The Wesleyan Church
      • Organized:26 June 1924
      • Originally the International Holiness Church of Nebraska, located at Antelope Valley in 1921
      • History: 40 Year History, by Hortense Law
      • Records: baptism, marriage since 1968, and death since 1928 but incomplete

Strand of Barbed Wire
Garden County Funeral Homes

  • Holechek Funeral Home
    • Oshkosh, NE  69154

    • (308)772-3663

Strand of Barbed Wire

Nebraska
This page under construction. Please send any comments to Earl Rook rookswan-at-comcast-dot-net
Rook
© Original materials copyright 1996-2002
by Earl J.S. Rook
Last updated on 2 November, 2002


Return to Garden County page
Return to Nebraska page
Return to Garden County Genealogy, the GardenGenWeb Home Page
Return to Nebraska Genealogy, the NEGenWeb Home Page

VIC LogoOur Sponsor